The Parkinsons - Stay at home Mom, Truck driving Dad, and a very cute little boy.. Living the dream

The Parkinsons - Stay at home mom, hard working dad, and one very cute little boy.... living the dream.

Monday, December 13, 2010

4 Months (and a catch up from 3 months...)

Dearest Jack (aka "Bubbas")-

Whoa, time is a-flying with you around! I had fully expected to be able to do this once a month, and did OK until month three showed up... I blinked and then it was gone. So, we're going to combine the last few months together and hope that I can remember everything that has happened...

working on sitting up on your own




I thought you were pretty dang cute at two months, and shoot – you were. But it didn't prepare me for the overflowing cuteness that you have become! Everyday is, as always, an adventure with you as you keep this Mama on her toes. The last few months you have gotten that bobble head of yours under control and so you are able to focus on other body parts and what they can do. It amazes me how in a day you've got some new motor skill going (and going, and going and going...).







You've learned that those legs aren't just for kicking, that they can actually hold you up and make you TALL with the right kind of help, letting you see a lot – mostly what's on the other side of the couch (the kitchen). The kicking hasn't gone away while you're proudly being tall – my poor thighs have become your trampoline.

The best thing you've found? That you have feet at the end of those legs, grabbing them at every chance you get.  EVERY CHANCE regardless of what else is going on, like eating. I do admit, it does come in handy during a diaper change. You become such a great helper while Mama wipes that stinky bum, all the while grinning from ear to ear at your accomplishment.




Oh, and those hands? Lately, you've figured out that those can actually reach out and grab things. You test this out by grabbing everything in your reach – mostly our cheeks, lips, eyes, glasses, shirt, hair.... It's great when you help Mama flash everyone at church on Sunday.



You've also got those as your favorite go-to treat... no binky? No problem! The HANDS are always here!


Which can be pretty interesting when you go from snacking on them to grabbing at mama with them... and when I say interesting, I mean VERY WET as you have begun teething. Drool is your newest accessory and your hands get the most of it.

The best thing you've learned is how to vibrate your lips. You do it all the time to entertain yourself and it's AWESOME because I have no idea how you picked this up. When I do it back, you look at me with a “wha...?” expression, like it's totally different from what you were doing for thirty minutes straight. And then you turn and go back to sucking on your hands.

Your excitement for all things new and fun has not diminished. Your mouth pops open, the arms start to shake in anticipation, and then the legs kick in. But when you get REALLY excited? All those things happen with the addition of some audio work from you – very high pitched squealing alternated by a big belly laugh. It's hysterical and we can't help but join in with our own laughter!

Your bad moments of the day are still few and far between, but they are beginning to become much louder and more physical. Like when you want to stand up and mama needs you to sit in your car seat, I don't hear the end of it and you make sure it's SUPER hard to buckle you in by arching your back (same goes for the bouncer chair you used to love to hang out in). This gives me a glimpse into future temper tantrums... shoot, I can't wait for those days! *sigh*. 

 
The best little fits you give are when you are so tired and you will not be defeated into sleep... but ultimately do when you've busied yourself too much.


It's so cute in the end, but really frustrating for both of us when you just won't give in to the droopy eyelids. Why are they the best? Because it's one of the ways that shows me you are definitely mine. What's another way that shows me this? The fact that you play yourself to sleep. I can hear you giggle and coo on the baby monitor for a while, and then silence as you've knocked yourself out.  Sound familiar, mom and dad? I can hear the chuckles even as I type this...





One of the best things you've tackled in the last few months is sleeping through the night IN YOUR OWN ROOM. I anticipated it to be a huge shift for both of us. For me, Daddy being gone for such long periods of time, you were my company at night. I would get you to sleep and place you in your bassinet and fall asleep myself to your tender, little breaths and sighs. But then you kept getting bigger – so big that when you woke up in that cute bassinet, you would stretch your little body and your head would touch the top as you pushed your feet against the bottom. Big time frown came across my face as I realized it was time for a crib of your own. I imagined you would sense me being no where near you, and that you wouldn't be able to rest and cry for Mama to be by your side. It was hard for me that first week, as I watched you sleep totally unfazed by this drastic shift in our sleeping arrangements. That's right – it was only big for one of us and that made me so proud of your little milestone in self-sufficiency. I love our nighttime rituals that happen in your room now, and look forward to all the things I can get done once we've sang our songs and said our prayers.


Daddy has become your go-to guy for all things fun when he's home. He does all the things that mom won't let you do – like sit on the couch (surrounded by a plethora of pillows, of course) next to him and watch TV. He loves to play with you in the morning in our bed after you've eaten, and picks you up to fly you around the room like an airplane (and then mom has to clean up the spit-up that follows soon there after). He loves to have you sit in your highchair next to us while we eat, and show you how cool your toys can really be. 


 
Most recently, you got to drive around in his backhoe to clean up snow, since it came early this year.  Every little boy's dream, and you fulfilled it before you even knew of such a dream.  This means we had to winterize YOU from the cold. 





He is SO excited for your first Christmas, as he and Santa Claus have been in cahoots about your gifts this year. He works so hard so you can have Mama at home with you, that he misses some of the cool stuff you do. Hopefully, that will soon be something of the past and Daddy will get lots of practice changing those fun-filled diapers of yours.

You've also been on your very first road trip - all the way down to St. George to meet your great-grandparents.  We were a little worried having you in the car for almost eight hours, but you did good.  That is, until you had your very first diaper blow-out.  It wasn't so bad - your car seat escaped damage.  You mostly got Mama and the clothes you were wearing when I picked you up.  But you were a champ the whole drive down and back by sleeping.
 
Jack and Grandma Boyd
You got TONS of family attention as grandma and grandpa Christiansen were so excited to meet you, as well as Mama's Aunt Jeannie and Uncle Freddie and LOTS of cousins.  Your grandma Boyd loved your big blue eyes.  You did good winning everyone over and in turn, you got spoiled with lots of stuff.

Jack and Grandma Christianson















You are becoming quite the little man, and Mama wishes you would stop it and stay small for just a moment longer. Each morning I wonder “Who's this?” as you wake up and look so different from the night before. But then the new guy charms me within ten seconds as one of the best smiles comes across your face like you've missed me while you slept. It's either that or you realize breakfast is soon to be served....

Best Jack moments that I look forward to every day:
  • how your face lights up and I have your full, smiling attention while I sing off-key and flat.
  • when you take a break from eating just to look up and smile at me.
  • watching you remember how to make your toys do that cool thing that Daddy showed you.
  • excitedly grasp my face and attempt to suck either my cheek, chin, or nose.
The last one I don't necessarily look forward to it, but more that it's quite amusing because it's usually accompanied by gasps of excitement and shrieks of joy (best sounds EVER).

Keep doing what your doing – we're loving every minute of it.

1 comment: