The Parkinsons - Stay at home Mom, Truck driving Dad, and a very cute little boy.. Living the dream

The Parkinsons - Stay at home mom, hard working dad, and one very cute little boy.... living the dream.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

TIME OUT

The boy is just like any other little boy... he gets into trouble from time to time.  I used to do a 1-2-3 count to give him some time to stop being naughty, but since he has learned to count that has lost all effectiveness as he counts along with me.  I'm kind of doing a trial and error approach now, but not sure what exactly is sticking yet.  Time out has always been my last resort, putting the boy in his room to chill out and reset from whatever raging tantrum he has going on.  His door handle has a child proof cover on it to keep him in, and he usually gets the message within 2 minutes that it's time to cut the crap and behave so we can play and have fun again.

Today started out rough for the kid getting up wanting cookies for breakfast, but finally settling for a protein drink instead.  It was rough trying to change the diaper, and after that anything I needed him to do or to eat was met with a big screaming "NO!".  I had it with the grumpiness and I wanted to reset his day by giving him a bath - usually works after some wrestling to get his clothes and diaper off and throwing him in the tub.  Today he was NOT having it.  Fastest bath that boy has ever had - in and out (scrubbed) in I think 3 minutes.  Getting dressed was a fight as well - my reset plan had been foiled.  I tried almost everything to get him to chill out and nothing was working.  So, I decided to just walk away - let him have his freak-out over whatever was bothering him and I go do the things I needed to do.  I go up to the bathroom to clean up the mess and water from the bath experience of the day when he comes upstairs and says "mommy come here, this way" and proceeds to push me into his room and into the reading chair and says "time out" and shuts the door.  As I laughed and laughed that I was his problem, the thought "I am in serious trouble with this one" went through my mind.

And oh, I am....

No comments:

Post a Comment